8-Week Challenge Update: Week Two
I lost one of my best and oldest friends last week to suicide. Still working on processing that. Still working on feeling like getting out of bed in the morning is a good idea. I’m sure I’ll write about it sooner or later, but for now it is what it is. Forgive a briefer than normal update.
Here are my key takeaways from this week. (If you’re just joining us, see The Eight Week Challenge Jump Start post for the scoop. See also: Week One Update.) I am very much looking forward to hearing how the week went for all of you and what you will focus on for Week Three!
Week progress: 154 –> 151, -3 pounds
Total progress: 157 –> 151, -6 pounds
Week progress: 134.5 –> 135, +.5 pound
Total progress: 139 –> 135, -4 pounds
- Down three more pounds.
- Got a solid 13 hours of training including a burly, windy century with Sal and a new 5 minute power PR.
- Did two days of resistance training. Very short sessions, but they happened.
- Thanks to the readers here, found way better food tracking software: MyFitnessPal
- Let good habits guide me through a rough patch.
- Did a great job of fueling hard workouts but keeping food intake in check on lower volume/intensity days.
- Obviously, it was a rough emotional week. I resisted the urge to totally try to heal myself with food, which is a traditional response for me. I did have a few glasses of whiskey on Thursday in my friend’s honor and some wine later in the week. I don’t feel bad about these things at all.
- No running. I’m ok with this.
- Didn’t track food one day last week. I think it was the day I learned of my friend’s passing. I’m also ok with this.
Focus for Week Three
This will be a hard week for me. It’s a rest week, so my training intensity will be low and I’ll have to be very buttoned up with nutrition. Remembrance services are next weekend in Seattle and I am very much looking forward to getting to say goodbye to my friend, hold his wife in my arms, cry and laugh with our friends. I need to make it all real so I can actually deal with it.
My focus for this week is just getting through – and remembering that all those high-fat, high-carb foods I think of as comforting will probably actually make me feel worse instead of better. If I maintain my current weight, I’ll be more than happy. Other focus is really enjoying my recovery rides and using them to reflect and think.
Mironda’s Almond Smoothie Recipe
To make your own almond milk:
To make the smoothie:
How’s it going?
Ok, your turn. Spill it! How do you feel? What are your roadblocks? Read anything interesting you’d like to share with the group? Any good recipes to share? We’re past the honeymoon period here, which means it’s really important to engage and stay the course. This will be an easy week to slip back into old habits, try instead to tighten the focus even more.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- 8-Week Challenge: Week Three Update Key takeaways from Week Three. (If you’re just joining us,...
- 8 Week Challenge: Final Update This update is coming in a little late thanks to...
- 8-Week Challenge Update: Week One Time for a Week One check-in. How’s it going? Here...
- 8 Week Challenge: Week Six and Seven Updates If I were a good blogger I’d give you a...
- 8 Week Jump Start Weight Loss Challenge Links to Updates: Week One Week Two Week Three Week...