Arizona Dreamin’ in Photos: Handmade tortillas and Owls
Chilly desert morning call for puffer jackets and hot coffee.
The quiet early hours are the best for catching glimpses of surrounding wildlife.
Bye bye, moon.
Everything is spiny and sharp and dry here.
The plants all look thirsty. The rocks are parched.
That pool is cold as shit.
Bad for leisurely floating, great for ice baths.
The outdoor grill is the crown jewel.
Last night we had fresh rainbow trout cooked over hot coals.
Sally is looking more relaxed than I’ve seen him in ages.
First stop after a long ride. I go straight in, chamois and all.
Sal is too pansy to hack it: “Too cold!! Makes my ankles throb!”
Sal got all Southwest inspired last night and bought some masa for homemade tortillas.
He pressed them by putting each ball into a plastic zip log bag, then smashing them flat with the bottom of a saucepan.
We heated them over the grill and they were mind-blowing.
Sauteed brussels sprouts are always a winner.
We paired them with the grilled trout and a cous cous salad with broccoli, cherry tomatoes and pine nuts.
The owls came out to play again this morning.
There’s a big one and a small one and they both get really pissed off when we stare at them.
The big one delights in kicking the little one off of branches.
Fantastic SW morning skies.
PS: Remember to subscribe to the newRSS feed for Grit and Glimmer if you get a chance! Click here.
Or subscribe to receive notification about new posts via email:
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Photos: Sunsets and Owls Own Me The wheather’s been a little cantankerous this week. You know...
- Monday Morning Gratuitous Arizona Photos He still gets *really* pissed at me when I point...
- Photos: Sun, Owls, and a Sicilian ...
- Photos: Asphalt, Steak and Corpses Images from the iPhone Leaving Colossal Cave Mountain Park. *...
- Weekend Handmade Bike Bonanza: Oregon Manifest Sometimes Portland is so freaking cool it can’t even stand...