Compton’s Worlds Bid in Question
Just after I posted the link to the Gazette article about Katie Compton yesterday, reader Guy Smith chimed in with some bad news (from CyclingNews):
Compton faces doubts over World Championships
By Brecht Decaluwé in Hoogerheide
Katie Compton (USA) racing to second at the 2007 World Championships
Photo ©: Mitch Clinton
Last year Katie Compton captured a silver medal at the UCI’s Cyclo-cross World Championships in Hooglede-Gits, Belgium, and this year she is again a favourite for the podium in Treviso. The American rider was present in Hoogerheide on Sunday for the final World Cup race of the season, but she didn’t start the race.
"This is a rest day," she said trying to look positively at a recent setback she has been suffering. "I hoped I could be optimistic, but now I’m realistic. I have some muscle disorder. I don’t exactly know what it is."
Wishing she could be out there racing, too, Compton said, sighing, "It’s hard to watch a race, it’s more fun to actually ride it." To be sidelined only one week before the world championships is poor timing and Compton realizes she will not be 100% in Italy.
"Normally I would be out for three weeks, and now I’m trying to get ready in one week," Compton said she’s doing all she can to pull off a decent performance in Treviso. "And if I’m not going to be ready, then you’ll find us along the course with a bottle of wine," said Compton, who was determined to have fun in Italy, no matter what her form is like on race day.
But I’m drawing in a breath and holding it. You just never know with this one – she’s tough as nails.
I’m almost as wound up over Worlds this year as I have been over the Tour in years past waiting to see if Lance would crack or if Jan would just straight up ride off the road again.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- In the News: Compton Prepares to Crush, Powers Reads the NYT Reader and general ass-kicker Ed Rowell sent me this article...
- Last Minute Tips for Nationals from Compton, Trebon and other Super Speedy Crossers I’ve been harassing super fast people for the past week...
- Lifting Heroes Up: Send Local Cross Hero to Worlds! Here’s what happened. Sue Butler made the fucking US team...
- One Last Idea: Give the Gift of Wrenching Remember when you were 9 and you just ran outside,...
- A Video Answer to the “How is Tucson?” Question The house is quiet. Two owls live in the tree...