Foam Roller FTW: Tips, Links and a Discount
I was introduced to foam rolling about four years ago at a Boot Camp and sometimes it’s hard to believe I ever lived my life this super simple little stack of foamy love.
If you’re not yet familiar with it, the technical term for “foam rolling” is self myofascial release (SMR) which frankly sounds kind of dirty, but that’s besides the point.
SMR is pretty simple. You get a foam roller and then roll around on it, using your body weight to create pressure to massage and stretch sore muscles.
In general (this is how I was taught):
- Find a tender spot in the area you’re working on and keep the roller on that spot. Wait for the discomfort to diminish by 50-75%. (Be patient, this could take some time.)
- When this area is no longer sensitive, move on to other areas and repeat.
- When the area is free of pain and can be easily rolled over, continue rolling regularly to keep the area relaxed.
- Use Mr. Foamy Pants as a warm-up prior to activity and also for a warm-down after workouts.
I dug up some great resources online that show proper technique.
Running Times has a brief overview of how it helps runners, with a few photo demos of how to target the most important leg muscles.
The About.com page for Foam Rolling also has some pretty good information on what SMR is, how it works, with photos and written explanation for various stretches.
Foam rolling is really effective. And by effective I mean, it’s like getting a very aggressive, deep massage. It can hurt if you’re dealing with really sore body parts, but that usually goes away after you’ve been using it for a while. (I swear.)
Get One Cheap – $17 until Monday
Don’t have one? Not to worry. I strong-armed the OpenSky crew into letting me offer a discount of 17% from now until Monday, March 15th (use code “17Foam” at checkout). That means this little baby will ring in right around $17 when all is said and done.
If you got two $70 massages a month for an entire year, you’d spend $1680.00.
Foam roll instead and you’re saving a whopping $1663.00! Now you can buy me something nice. Wasn’t that easy? Yes, yes it was.
To nab your high-density foam roller, head on over to the GnG General Store and use the code “17Foam” when you check out.
[Note: For more info on the my store at OpenSky, check out this post.]
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Thoughts on the Holidays: Ten Tips for Success I hate all those holiday party survival guides that tell...
- Rain! Halloween! Links! Video! Rain! Mud! It’s coming, it’s coming! I’ve been so patient...
- 27 Nutrition Tips from The Master (John Berardi): Part One When it comes to nutriton, there are a lot of...
- Sleep Station: Ten Tips for Getting Better WinkEye I’m big on sleep. Earlier this year when I was...
- Sunshine Roller, Sunday Macchiato Highway 30 on a long Sunday. Sal is breaking legs...