It’s Over! The Final Race Report for 2008
Truth be told, Sal was done before this weekend started. His heart was not in it. He wanted to sleep in and make pancakes and snuggle with the cats.
Instead, we got up at the crack of dawn in 29 degree frost and set up tents. We raced bikes and/or got caught up in crashes and attacked by trees.
The knot on my head is hard and stubborn, but slowly receding. I’m recovering and breathing deeply.
The final cyclocross race report is up over at my Wend home.
When I hit it, I am not prepared for the sound of my skull against wood. I expect to hit my helmet. But I don’t do anything half-assed. I don’t fall and hit my helmet like your average schmuck. No – I go straight for the head. Never-mind that the helmet covers most of the skull. I find a way to get some good skull-on-wood action.
Just above and behind my left ear, to be exact. Just under the bottom of the helmet.
Don’t ask me how I did it, because I wouldn’t be able to do it again if I tried.
One moment I’m on the bike and the next moment, I’m on the ground. My legs are still wrapped around the frame, feet clipped in. I’m lying on my side, holding my head.
My friend Beth rounds the corner. Beth is known for a few things – strong like ox on bike, good like angel in heart, dirty like potty in mouth. She is not known for her emergency preparedness or first-aid analysis.
Even still, she handles my tree fiasco like a champ.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Race Report: Barton Park Carnage The Barton Park race report is up over at the...
- Drunken Cheerleader Zombies: A Race Report We are supposed to be a squad. Four Portland Velo...
- Tick Tock: Race Report in Progress Race Report is Imminent! *...
- The Killing Fields: Kruger’s Crossing Race Report is Up, Complete with Dead Rat Photo: Kenji Sugahara Hey – is Thanksgiving tomorrow? How the...
- StarCrossed 2008: Cold, Wet, Crazy… Perfect What’s the shiniest, twinkliest, most soggy way to start the...