Kale Krazy: Roasty Toasty Roughage
Yesterday’s kale post opened my eyes to the bountiful Kale Love that exists in the world. I was so happy that I spent the day in a sundress skipping through overexposed kale fields with white light wrapping around me, singing kale songs.
Then I came home and found two sweet recommendations.
The Hen Waller (a great blog by friend, talented designer, and chicken expert Patrick) came out swinging with a link (via Twitter – follow me, it’s fun!) to this fantastic Savory Bread Pudding with Winter Greens recipe.
The recipe called for roasting the kale, which got me thinking…
Cue to long-time blog reader Michael (aka MtMann) dropping his favorite roasting method into the comments.
That was the tipping point. I had to try it. I literally walked away from the computer straight into the kitchen and starting cutting my kale into strips. The result? Unreal. Really. I don’t know how else to put it.
A little crispy. Nice and light. An excellent earthy, roasted flavor.
I shot off a string of photos and then ate the whole batch.
Here’s how I did it:
- Cut kale into very narrow strips (almost shredded).
- Toss with 1tbsp olive oil to coat.
- Spread evenly over a baking sheet and put into an oven that it pre-heated to 375.
- After about 5 minutes (keep your eye on them, they’ll begin to wilt a little) remove, turn all the greens over and return to oven.
- Roast for another 5-7 minutes just until it starts to get a little crispy.
- Toss with sea salt (I used my favorite Oak-Smoked Chardonnay Sea-Salt because I am all about the sea-salt trend, yo)
Super easy, stupid-simple and seriously savory. This is going to become a regular snack around here for sure.
As scary-good as kale is for your health, you should give it a shot, too. You may even be able to convert some non-believers.
Thanks to Patrick and Michael for the roasting tip! There were a few other recipes mentioned that I plan to try in the next few weeks. Stay tuned, Kale Komandos.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Kale that Doesn’t Suck I love kale. There, I said it. But I know...
- Salmon and Kale: Recipes referenced in The Everday Athlete column in the Oregonian If you’re looking for the recipes mentioned in yesterday’s Oregonian...
- The Daily Shake: “Black Hole” Version I made a black shake today. Black. You are reading...
- Barley Risotto with Mushrooms and White Beans Pearl barley and cheese collide in this decidedly healthy spin...