Kale that Doesn’t Suck
I love kale. There, I said it.
But I know that not everyone gets as into dinosaur food as I do. Usually, I just chop it, steam it, salt it and eat it, but tonight I decided to put a little effort in and see if I could make it palatable for Sal.
This is simple – and would be great for spinach or chard or other leafy greens, too – but I swear it’s good. Sal-tested, Sicilian-approved.
Get this stuff:
- Kale (two big bunches oughta be enough – eyeball it, and remember it shrinks)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Garlic (two cloves, mined)
- 1/2 cup chicken or veggie stock (or just water, but I recommend the stock)
Do this with it:
- Heat the oil over medium heat (slowly)
- When you start to smell the olive oil (when it’s getting warm), add the minced garlic and cook slowly on low-medium so you don’t burn said garlic, just get it nice and warmed up and yummy-style.
- While the garlic is infusing the oil with heaven, give your kale a good, coarse chopping. It’s been a bad, bad kale – punish it!
- After five minutes of heating the garlic, turn the heat up to high, throw the kale and the chicken stock into the pot and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes (cue kale shrinkage)
- Take lid off and assess. Continue cooking on medium to evaporate any remaining liquid or until kale reaches desired tenderness.
- Finish with salt and pepper to taste (if you want to, I found the chicken stock provided enough flavoring and I didn’t require any more)
- If you’re feeling sassy, throw on a little red wine vinegar (I’m not a huge fan of vinegar so I didn’t do this part)
Enjoy as a side dish with your favorite protein.
9 out of 10 dinosaurs agree: this kale does not suck!
Next up: Juicing recipe for the yummy drink shown below.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Kale Krazy: Roasty Toasty Roughage Super easy, stupid-simple and seriously savory. This is going to...
- Salmon and Kale: Recipes referenced in The Everday Athlete column in the Oregonian If you’re looking for the recipes mentioned in yesterday’s Oregonian...
- Barley Risotto with Mushrooms and White Beans Pearl barley and cheese collide in this decidedly healthy spin...
- Two Quick Chicken Marinades Chicken is boring. Don’t kid yourself. It is. It’s really...
- Super Simple Claypot Roasted Chicken Super juicy chicken - every time. This claypot chicken recipe...