Ladies: Are bike shops *still* failing us?
I can’t tell you how many emails I receive from women who want advice on how to buy a bike. Many of them are intimidated, frustrated or even scared. They feel that they don’t know what to say or ask. That they’re spoken down to.
They have no idea where to start – they just know that they want to ride bikes.
They know they’re smart enough, savvy enough, strong enough and brave enough. They just aren’t sure what all that techno-mumble-jumble crap that is coming out of the salesperson’s mouth means. But they’re pretty sure they’re being had.
Are they? Are we?
Everyday more and more women are climbing onto bicycles. It’s our time. We’re here and we’re ready to ride. Are bike shops ready for us? What’s your experience? Do you have ideas on how bike shops can be better?
Do you have a story to share?
Let it rip.
I’ve been contacted over the past few months by several large companies (a shop included) to help them figure out how to better serve us. I’m excited, energized and enthusiastic about it – and I have commitments from them that they will be willing to take risks, trust me, and do what it takes to truly make a shift-change.
What do they need to hear?
Today I’m asking specifically about bike shops but I promise later to also address the question of the larger industry. We’re making strides, to be sure, but we’ve got a long way to go.
Take a moment, if you will, and leave me a comment. Tell me about your bike shop experiences – good and bad. What’s working? What’s not? What can retailers do to make it easier and more comfortable to shop in their stores?
I appreciate your input. And – if you don’t feel comfortable sharing with the public here (I encourage you to do so, the dialogue will be interesting) – feel free to use the contact form to send me a note directly.
Whole lotta grit,
To follow the discussion, check the “email me updates” button at the bottom after you post your comment.
To subscribe to the RSS feed for this site, click here.
Or subscribe to email notification:
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- OMG. Ladies Auxiliary Speedsuits Have Landed They’re here! After all the planning and drarings and revisions,...
- Pedaling Ladies: Get Vocal. Here’s Your Chance to State Your Case Ladies and Gentlewomen, Please help the Association of Pedestrian and...
- I dare you not to cry: Volunteer for Bike First Last year I had the pleasure of covering a Bike...
- Chris Horner Gives Fallen Rider (and bike) a 2k Ride to the Finish The leaders had already come through when a moto approached...
- Ira Ryan + Ned Ludd = Amazing Market Bike I just spent an amazing Saturday morning tagging along with...