No Pedal Wrenches in Your Carry-On Luggage, Lady
At 4:30 in the morning, after 3 hours of sleep, I decided I definitely needed to bring my pedal wrench with me on this trip (surely there are no pedal wrenches in the bay area!).
I want you know know that TSA does not allow heavy 18″ wrenches in carry-on luggage. Who knew?
It was with great sadness that I bid adieu to my big, blue wrench this morning. With only 15 minutes until my flight was scheduled to depart, there was no time to go back and check it in.
The security man looked at me and then looked at the wrench.
“You sure you don’t have someone seeing you off this morning that you can run back and give this to?”
“I don’t. I’m all alone. It’s just me and my pedals and this big scarf.”
“I hate to have you surrender this,” he looked wistfully at the wrench, “It’s an awfully nice tool.”
“I know. Me too, but I probably should have checked before I came to the airport. It’s my fault.”
He asked his supervisor just for good measure. The supervisor saw the giant bludgeoning tool and laughed. “I’m sorry.” he said.
The Original Security Guard and I looked at each other and made sad faces. His hands were thick and strong around the blue handle.
“Goodbye, pedal wrench!” I called.
He shook his head and I turned away and ran for the gate.
I didn’t look back.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Pedal Until You Taste Blood: The Battle at Barlow Last week, reader Guy Smith of the Crossniacs forwarded me...
- This Bike is a Boat, Lady. Peithman and I were assaulting Creston Park (which is where...
- Surly + Big Agnes = Pedal Powered RV On Monday I wrote about some of my favorite touring...
- Tested: Assos FI 13 Lady S5 Bib Shorts Background and disclosure Indie Bike, a cycling apparel shop (they’ve...
- Bike Fighting: Lady is the Boss I’ve wanted a BMX bike for three years. Every year,...