Pina Mangolata Smoothie
I forgot how good a well-made protein shake can be. I’m not talking about slapping together some milk and some powder here, I’m talking about shakes that were thought out with the same careful intention and attention to detail as a well-done recipe.
Tasty, filling, and satisfying – both gastronomically and psychologically.
The Pina Mangolata Shake I just made fits this bill. It’s a variation on a recipe for a Pina Colada Smoothie from Precision Nutritions’ cookbook: Gourmet Nutrition. Basically, I didn’t have pineapple, so I substituted frozen mangos instead.
Here’s the scoop:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use Jay Robb)
- 1 cup chilled green tea (the trick is to remember to make some green tea every now and then so you have it on hand. I store mine in old glass jars.)
- 3 cubes ice
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
Put everything but the mango in the Ginormous Fruit-Destroying VitaMix and blend until smooth. I add the mango last and give it a few good pulses so that there are still some mango chunks left. I love running into them when I least expect it – it’s the prize inside!
- The banana can be fresh, too, I just tend to keep a lot of frozen ones around because I like frozen fruit.
- Coconut milk is high-ish in fat, but it’s the good kind. PN recommends against the lite versions of it.
- You can make coconut milk ice cubes in your freezer with the leftover liquid, if you don’t think you’ll use it in a few days. Once frozen, coconut milk can’t be used again for cooking (it will curdle) but is fine to throw into the blender for another shake.
- PN recommends green tea for the obvious health benefits, but I have a hankering to try it with chilled Hibiscus tea which always tastes great cold and has a zip-bang-boom bright pink color that makes me happy.
P.S. Speaking of Precision Nutrition, I got a peek at their new version 3 program the other night and it’s pretty incredible. Mine is nearly two years old now and I still use the guide and both cookbooks nearly every day. V3 has so much new content I’m seriously tempted to grab it but… there is bike crap to buy!
Other yummy recipes you might like:
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Kitchen Sink Smoothie (Or “How to Build a Kick-Ass Smoothie”) [Scroll down for recipe.] General Guidelines for Building a Kick-Ass...
- Yum: From the Kick-Ass Protein Shake Files I was running out today to make an 11:15am appointment...
- Like Pumpkin Pie? You’re Going to Love This Festive Jay Robb Protein Shake I know what you’re thinking. And, no, I don’t work...
- A Knock-Your-Socks-Off Jay Robb Fudgesicle Recipe for Labor Day Last week Maggie Wang posted her favorite recipe for making...
- The Daily Shake: Today’s Smoothie Monster of Death I’ve taken to drinking a morning smoothie instead of the...