The Daily Shake: “Black Hole” Version
I made a black shake today. Black. You are reading that correctly.
Sweet Jesus, it’s the ugliest shake I’ve ever made. But, you know I wouldn’t post a shake recipe here if it didn’t taste good, so take my word for it.
I’m not posting photos because I don’t want to scare you.
Unlike most of my smoothies, this one does not contain protein powder. The intention behind it wasn’t to make a well-rounded meal replacement – instead, I just wanted to pulverize and quickly consume a bunch of fruits and vegetables. It’s a great way to quickly get a big hit of fiber, vitamins, anti-oxidants, and greens. All you have to do is add, pulverize and glug, glug, glug.
1 c. frozen berry mix
.75 c strawberries
1 c. grapes
.5 c Broccoli
1 c. Kale
1 tbsp Spirulina (this is what makes it black)
.75 c. Unsweetened almond milk
Additional water as needed to get desired consistency
Optional: sweetener (agave, brown rice syrup, stevia or splenda) The fruit in this smoothie has a lot of work to do to overcome the kale and broccoli and I find that adding just a little sweetener is perfect.
You end up with 2 servings of cruciferous vegetables, 3 servings of fruit and one hit of pow-pow-powerful sea green punch.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- The Daily Shake: Today’s Smoothie Monster of Death I’ve taken to drinking a morning smoothie instead of the...
- Yum: From the Kick-Ass Protein Shake Files I was running out today to make an 11:15am appointment...
- Like Pumpkin Pie? You’re Going to Love This Festive Jay Robb Protein Shake I know what you’re thinking. And, no, I don’t work...
- Triple (Yes, You Read That Right) Chocolate Pecan Protein Shake Eat your heart out, ErikV. I have improved upon the...
- Double Chocolate Pecan Shake (Yes, I swear it’s good for you.) Sal has a hardcore sweet tooth. Protein shakes have come...