There’s a Reason They Call Me Waterfall: A Pain Cave Video
All the Veloforma girls have a nickname. It’s part of the deal.
Being new to the squad, I’ve lingered without one for a few weeks – until last Wednesday.
Last Wednesday Tina taught me to ride rollers. And then I sat on them for 2 hours at Therapeutic Associates in North Portland, kicking out the interval workout that was on my schedule.
It was a combination of intense focus and carefully metered exertion. The rollers required every ounce of my attention and so I stared forward with almost robotic stillness, with a soft gaze on the ground up ahead.
As I did so, the faucets turned on. And my secret was out.
I sweat. A lot. I have sweat this way since the day I was born, when beads of moisture would appear on my nose. It’s always the nose first. Always.
When I tell people that I sweat a lot they always nod their heads and go, “oh yeah, me too…” but they don’t understand quite what I mean.
Finally, on Wednesday, Tina Brubaker was able to witness the spectacle up close and personal. And as I stared forward, a steady and relentless stream of drips fell from my nose, and then as the workout progressed, from the tip of my cycling cap, which had become completely saturated.
“Sweet Jesus, Swift.” The Manbreaker said, “That’s impressive.”
And so, on yesterday’s team ride, she dubbed me “Waterfall”. I’ve been called many things in my sporting life (Ajax, Gumby, Stretch, Swifty among them), but Waterfall works. And it fits.
As it so happens, in conjunction with my official Nickname Ceremony, video proof as to its validity appeared on the internets. My Sunday column for the Outdoors section of the Oregonian this week was about training indoors (Raging in the Pain Cave) and we produced a little video to go along with it:
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- “We’re Not Animali”: Written in Blood on the Wall of My Pain Cave You know what bike hell is? It’s a perfectly heated...
- Welcome to My Pain Cave Daniel destroyed us this morning at boot camp. It didn’t...
- There’s a Reason I call him Shecko Shecko: Sicilian dialect word for donkey. Hauling animal. Ass. Commuting...
- Don’t Call it a Comeback On Wednesday I popped out of bed at 4:15am. I...
- 73 Ways to Feel Pain Oh, the pain. The sweet, sweet lovin’ pain. This week...