To the Weather: I Hate You. Love Heidi.
I have been sitting here trying to write about something – anything - besides the crappy weather. It’s impossible. Every start degrades quickly into some rant about Sal calling me a "hail magnet".
I have decided to give in and just get it off my chest.
I am enamored with the rain and cold in the winter months. I need a break. I need hibernation. I need the quiet that the dark and cold of winter offers. I like it.
(Besides, I need rain to make mud and I need mud to make ‘cross.)
But it’s almost May.
And it snowed on Sunday.
I have been caught in 6 different hail storms in the past 2.5 weeks. Always in the middle of some long ride somewhere. Often alone. Big, mean, sharp hailstones stinging my face and pinging off my glasses.
It was kind of funny the first three times. But now it’s not.
Sal and I work together in an office on the top floor of an old building. When it rains, we can hear it shelling the roof above us. We usually walk to the window and look out over the river to downtown, observing the onslaught and thanking god that we’re not in it.
A few days ago the hailstorm that cruised through was so loud we almost couldn’t hear the music we were playing. He leaned back in his chair so he could see me and said, "Hey Heidi… it’s hailing – shouldn’t you be outside on your bike?"
I’m here to go on record. I’m over it.
Like… losing my-shit-going-insane over it. Enough is enough!!
I opted to run yesterday in stubborn defiance and ended up aggravating my old FHL injury, which is a complete nightmare. Shooting pain through the arch and ball of my foot. All the memories of a year in physical therapy and a walking cast came flooding back to me in a heartbeat.
First the rain, now this!
I’m remaining calm but I swear – if we don’t get a sun-break soon – I’m gonna snap!
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- This Could Get Interesting: The Weather Report I’m traveling for work right now and having one hell...
- How to Ride in -20F Weather (The Portland Pity Party is Over) It’s pissing rain in Portland. This shouldn’t really surprise anyone...
- Going Out Cyclocross Style: I Hate Brad Ross Brad Ross threw a wrap party for the Cascade Cycling...
- 25 Random Things About Heidi Swift Ok, I give in. I’ve been tagged and tagged and...
- What is all this white crap? A cold weather cycling guide to the rescue. It’s snowing! No, really! Big, white flakes that are sticking. ...