Two Quick Chicken Marinades
Chicken is boring.
Don’t kid yourself. It is. It’s really f-ing boring.
But it can be fun and sexy just like all the other meats -it just needs to dress better and make an effort, ya know?
When I’m feeling bummed out about Chicken’s girl-next-door ho-hum-ness, I invoke a good marinade. Marinades are simple, easy, and don’t actually require that much forethought. An hour in a good marinade can be plenty.
These are two of my favorite go-to chicken-soakers.
Teriyaki marinade is kind of a “no-duh”. Sugar+Salt=YES. You can mess with proportions and ingredients as much as you like – as long as you have the soy sauce and something sweet in there, it’s gonna be good:
- 1/4 cup sherry, dry cooking wine, or whatever is already open (really)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (reduced sodium if you love yourself)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil (or not, it’s up to you – I’ve found it’s not essential, but it leads to slightly jucier meats)
- 3-4 garlic gloves
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled or 1 tspn ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. mollases – or – 2 tbsp brown sugar – or – 2 tbsp agave syrup (or some combination, or white sugar – really you just need something sweet)
Throw this stuff into a food processor or a powerful blender (The Holy VitaMix gets this done FAST and thoroughly) and emulsify.
Marinade for 1 -1.5 hours (or overnight) and then cook to your heart’s content.
When I’m going for something less sweet and more bright, this is what I usually use.
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/2 c. lemon juice
- 1.2 tspn dried sage or several leaves fresh
- 1.5 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- Splash of Tabasco
Same deal. Combine in food pulverizing device of your choice and blend into yummy liquid/paste. Marinade for 1-2 hours and get to it. (I’ve let this marinade sit overnight before and I found the citrus to be too strong. Just sayin’)
Now, go and put some spice back into your lackluster chicken life!
Coming soon: Yogurt based marinades – so delicious!!!
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- Chicken Larb (Don’t call it a meat salad) Chicken Larb! Larb is one of my favorite dishes in...
- Super Simple Claypot Roasted Chicken Super juicy chicken - every time. This claypot chicken recipe...
- Cheap Chicken, Short Track, and Chili Tacos Cheap Chicken I’ve been exercising my super-thrifty muscles lately, trying...
- The Daily Shake: Today’s Smoothie Monster of Death I’ve taken to drinking a morning smoothie instead of the...
- Curried Carrot (and Squash) Soup This is a slightly sweet, intensely aromatic low-calorie soup packed...