Wait, Did You Just Say “Diabetic”?
Actually, she said “pre-diabetic”.
But the D word still came out.
I held the phone away from my ear for a moment and made a “WTF” face.
“Yeah, your glucose levels are really high. Not in the diabetic range yet, but very close.”
“Do you have a history of diabetes in your family?”
Flashbacks to my grandmother’s house – insulin readers and little fingertip pin-pricks.
“Yep, I sure do. So… what does this mean? What should I do?”
This is where the conversation got a little funny. And a little disturbing.
“You need to really watch your sugar intake, maintain a high-protein diet, back off complex carbs… oh, and make sure you keep your activity level high.”
“I’m going to be honest with you, doc, I’m not really sure I can eat more protein than I already am… or less sugar for that matter. And… my activity level…. well, it’s pretty high.”
“I believe you. Unfortunately, this could all come down to genetics.”
“Ok – well, what’s next?”
“A few more tests. I’ll call you next week with results and more information.”
“Sounds good. I’ll talk to you then.”
I’m still a little stunned by the news, to be honest. On the bright side, my iron levels are up from their lows last year and my cholesterol profile is “perfect”.
We’ll stick to the good news for now.
In the scant bit of internet research I’ve had time to do on adult onset diabetes, I have learned that I’ve been practicing a pretty immaculate diabetes-management style of nutrition for the past year or two. 5-6 small meals a day, low sugar, low complex carbs, high protein, lots of zinc, chromium, omega-3s, garlic, and fiber.
I’m at an optimal weight for a normal person (perhaps not for a neurotic cyclist, but that’s a different story). I exercise 12-15 hours a week.
I’m not sure what to think other than food just got even more complicated.
Possibly related (automatically generated) posts:
- My Ten Favorite Super Foods I’m calling these foods “super” because they deliver outstanding nutritional...
- Hey! I found the proof! It was in the pudding! (P90X Progress Update) If there’s one thing I know for sure, I am...
- Now is the Time for Squash: Eat Right with a Favorite Fall Recipe Man. When I was a kid I hated squash (further...
- The (Super Basic) Five Steps You Can Take to Begin to Eat Smarter I lied! I am such a dirty liar. I told...
- Like Pumpkin Pie? You’re Going to Love This Festive Jay Robb Protein Shake I know what you’re thinking. And, no, I don’t work...